In addition to day-to-day political work, the activity of a party is based above all on certain substantive principles, which express its understanding of state and society. These also include the party's understanding of values. The main guideline for the FPÖ’s policy is provided by its party programme, which is adopted by the federal party congress.
FPÖ policy guidelines
1. Freedom is our highest good. Since the civil revolution of 1848 we have dedicated ourselves to the struggle for freedom, and to defend it wherever what has been achieved is threatened again.
2. We are committed to protecting our homeland of Austria, our national identity and autonomy as well as our natural livelihood.
3. The freedom of citizens is ensured and protected by means of liberty and the rule of law, as well as by a genuine community of solidarity.
4. The family, as a partnership between a man and a woman with common children, is the natural nucleus that holds a functioning society together, and which, in combination with generational solidarity, underpins our sustainability.
5. We support performance in a market economy with social responsibility, defend private property and stand for an equitable distribution of contributions and benefits for all.
6. The purpose of public health care is to provide citizens with the best possible preventive, medical and nursing care.
7. Austria must do all in its power to protect its national territory, maintain its neutrality and provide its citizens with protection and assistance whenever threats arise.
8. To develop and evolve, a society requires comprehensive education, academic freedom and independent art and culture.
9. Austria’s role in the worProgrammingld must be shaped by humanitarian responsibility, self-awareness and the preservation of Austrian interests.
10. An association of free peoples and self-determined fatherlands is the basis of our European policy and international contacts.